Sunday 11 November 2018

Welcome to my blog!

Hello fellow ESC515-ers, and welcome to my blog.

I work at a K-12 Anglican school in Brisbane. I am currently teaching Year 4 three days each week, and on the remaining two days I am the STEM Coordinator for the Primary Campus. This is my seventh out of eight subjects for my Masters of ICT in Education. I can nearly see the light at the end of the tunnel...

Technology has become a passion of mine. I like using it, teaching with it, and teaching others to use and create with it. The problem with technology, however, is that it is always changing, so I always have something to learn. This year I have explored using and teaching a variety of technologies:

  • I have been learning to code using the LEGO Mindstorm robots. My Year 5/6 Robotics and Coding Club entered the Qld State RoboCup Jr competition for the first time this year. None of the teams placed in their divisions, however, we all learned a lot.
  • I have taught coding using Minecraft Education Edition for the first time this year. The students LOVE it, however, it requires quite a lot of managing as it is so popular.
  • My Year 6 students experimented with a green screen and Photoshop this year. There was a lot of laughter in the room as students placed images of themselves in all sorts of interesting scenarios!
  • My school has recently let me purchase a humanoid robot. This is my next challenge - learning how to code it. 

For many teachers, using technology in the classroom is akin to teaching a different language - one they don't know! Some of my colleagues were actually terrified when the new Digital Technologies Curriculum was introduced. This is where I come in. I decided that a passion for technology in education, and for digital technologies in particular, was where I wanted to head in my teaching career. I was also interested in further study, so decided to combine the two. The key for me is the difference between using technology for the sake of it or using technology to authentically improve learning and teaching. I'm hoping this subject will help me achieve the latter.

Good luck everyone!

Laurie

3 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie,

    As we know each other from other Masters subjects it is nice to see a familiar name amongst all the unfamiliar names. It seems like only yesterday we were doing the other subject over summer last year so I’m sure the time will go again quickly, good luck with it all and I look forward to sharing the journey with you again!

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurie,
    I am so in awe of what you are doing with your students. Your passion for using technology to engage and motivate your students really shines through.

    ReplyDelete