Thursday 6 December 2018

Week 4: Constructivist Learning Theory

My school is an IB (International Baccalaureate) school accredited to teach the PYP (Primary Years Program), and undergoing accreditation to teach the MYP (Middle Years Program). The philosophies behind the IB programs sit firmly within the constructivist education learning theory. It is inquiry learning from start to finish.

Roblyer and Doering (2014) define inquiry-based learning as learning "in which learners generate their own knowledge through experiences and teachers serve only as facilitators" (p. 49). This learning style has resulted in wonderfully unique learning experiences and educational moments in my classroom. It has also resulted in much worry and stress on my part.

While I agree wholeheartedly in principle with the notions of constructivist teaching methods, I have found it does not suit all learning needs. Chapter 4 of Integrating Educational Technology into Teaching (Roblyer & Doering, 2014), was a refreshing read as it proposed a combination of directionism and constructivism. While I believe you can teach most concepts and contents using inquiry-based learning, it takes time, and time is often in short supply in today's crowded curriculum. My attempts to teach everything in the curriculum using a constructivist approach has resulted in both amazing successes and disastrous failures. I have settled on a combination of the two, which is working much better.

When it comes to drill and practice (directionism), I love to use websites like BBC Bitesize, as it contains hundreds of short games and simulations students can play as many times as they like to gain mastery. When it comes to inquiry-based learning (constructionism), one website I have used is a virtual tour of the HM Bark Endeavour when studying history.

BBC Bitesize

Endeavour Virtual Tour


References

Roblyer, M., & Doering, A. (2014). Pearson New International Edition. Integrating Educational Technology into Teaching. Harlow, England: Pearson.


2 comments:

  1. I found your comments about constructivism to align with mine, Laurie, particularly in relation to combining direct instruction with constructivism. I am keen to hear what made your successes work so well, and what the factors were in your “disastrous failures”. I can understand how the extra work and worry of innovating your teaching practice (will it work, what will happen?) makes it stressful for you, but without failure, how can you grow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurie, I just discovered Bitesize last week when looking for something for the digital resources part of our assessment - it is great! As I am VET teacher, not all is applicable but I was able to find some very useful resources for networking.

    ReplyDelete